Tornado Preparedness: Flood Insurance

Do Tornadoes Cause Flooding?

Tornadoes, hurricanes and flooding kind of go hand-in-hand. To be fair, hurricanes and tornadoes don’t always result in floods, but very often they do.

Rather surprisingly, lots of people imagine that their usual house insurance will cover them against flood damage in a hurricane or tornado. This is often incorrect.

There’s an estimate that only around 20% of Americans who live in areas with a real flooding danger have got adequate flood insurance. Unfortunately, the other 80% don’t find out that they’re not covered until it’s too late and their (useless) policy is floating across the kitchen!


Homes at Risk of Flooding

The FEMA flood hazard maps will show you the risk of your home flooding, as some communities are at a much higher risk of flooding than others. That doesn’t mean to say that if your home is in a low risk zone that you’re completely out of danger because flooding can and does still happen, even in the most unlikely of areas.

Next thing to do is to find a flood insurance policy for your home (the insurance company will need to know the flood risk of the area where you live). Don’t wait until the water is rising before thinking about organizing flood insurance for your home, because by then, it’ll be way too late.

Consider purchasing the following items to help keep your family safe during a tornado or a tornado flood:

Home Safety

Frost King P1025/6W Polyethylene Sheeting

This packaged plastic sheet is a versatile product that can be used for a variety of purposes in your home, garden, and garage. You can use it to cover and protect your furniture, appliances, and equipment from dust and debris.

Home Safety

DURASACK Heavy Duty Sand Bags with Tie Strings

DURASACK Heavy Duty Sand Bags are made from woven polypropylene, which is a tough and durable material that can withstand the elements. The bags and tie strings are treated with a UV inhibitor, ensuring they remain intact even after prolonged exposure to the sun.

Home Safety

Frost King M13WH V-Seal Weather-Strip

This product is a weather stripping and is manufactured in China. It is produced by FROST KING, a company that also manufactures door and cabinet hinges and hardware.