amazon-gold-box-deal-of-the-day-300x150
amazon-gold-box-deal-of-the-day-300x150
amazon-gold-box-deal-of-the-day-300x150

2020 Hurricane News

2020 Hurricane News

 

Latest News for the 2020 Hurricane Season

With the coronavirus taking most of the headlines, it’s easy to forget that there are other natural disasters that can strike at any time. Make sure you stay up-to-date with the latest hurricane news, especially if you live in a hurricane-prone area.

The 2020 Atlantic hurricane season lasts from June 1, 2020 – November 30, 2020.

Accuweather 2020 Hurricane Season Predictions

 

2020 Tropical Depressions, Storms, and Hurricanes

Storm NameLocationDatesCategory StrengthDeath TollEconomic Costs
Tropical Storm ArthurFlorida, The Bahamas, North Carolina, BermudaMay 16-19, 2020Max. 60 MPH winds0 deathsMinimal
Tropical Storm BerthaFlorida, The Bahamas, East Coast of the United StatesMay 27-28, 2020Max. 50 MPH winds1 death$200+ million
Tropical Storm Cristobal Gulf Coast of the United States, Arkansas, Midwestern United StatesJune 1-10, 2020Max. 60 MPH winds4 deaths$343 million

 

June 2020

  • June 9, 2020 – Hurricane Season Has Just Begun, But We’ve Already Seen 5 Unusual Things Happen: “The 2020 Atlantic hurricane season is off to a fast start with three named storms by early June. There have been several unusual aspects about this early-season activity.” Read more…
  • June 7, 2020 – Tropical Storm Cristobal Makes Landfall in Louisiana, Weakening to a Depression: “Tropical Storm Cristobal made landfall in southeast Louisiana late on Sunday afternoon, hours after pouring several inches of rain on the New Orleans area, the National Weather Service said.” Read more…

 

May 2020

  • May 28, 2020 – NASA Looks at Inland Rainfall from Post Tropical Cyclone Bertha: “Bertha formed into a tropical storm on May 27, about 30 miles off the South Carolina coast. By 9:30 a.m. EDT, Bertha made landfall along the coast of South Carolina, east of Charleston.” Read more…
  • May 23, 2020 – It’s official: The 2020 Atlantic hurricane season is going to be bad: “A hurricane is the last thing the country needs right now as tens of millions of Americans stay at home to protect themselves from COVID-19. But the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s annual Atlantic hurricane forecast, published Thursday, shows an abnormally active season in the coming months.” Read more…
  • May 21, 2020 – Busy Atlantic hurricane season predicted for 2020: “An above-normal 2020 Atlantic hurricane season is expected, according to forecasters with NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center, a division of the National Weather Service. The outlook predicts a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season and only a 10% chance of a below-normal season.” Read more…
  • May 19, 2020 – U.S. sees first named storm of 2020 with Arthur, weeks ahead of hurricane season: “With Tropical Storm Arthur, 2020 has recorded its first named Atlantic storm, weeks ahead of the official start of hurricane season.” Read more…
  • May 17, 2020 – Arthur, the First Named Storm of the Hurricane Season, Forms: “The first named storm of the Atlantic hurricane season formed off the coast of Florida over the weekend and approached North Carolina, making this the sixth consecutive year that a system formed before the official June 1 start of the season, the National Hurricane Center said.” Read more…

 

April 2020

  • April 16, 2020 – 2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season Expected to Be More Active Than Usual, The Weather Company Outlook Says: “The outlook created by Dr. Todd Crawford, chief meteorologist at The Weather Company, calls for 18 named storms, nine hurricanes and four major hurricanes – one that is Category 3 or higher (115-plus-mph winds) on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale.” Read more…
  • April 6, 2020 – Strong Hurricane Season Could Hit Maryland After Coronavirus Peak: “Maryland and the rest of the East Coast could be headed into a brutal hurricane season just after the novel coronavirus outbreak peaks, forecasters say.” Read more…
  • April 4, 2020 – Are You Ready for This? 2020 Hurricane Forecast: Above Average Intensity: “As if 2020 has not already walloped us beyond belief, brace yourself for more of nature’s power: Because of warm seas and favorable weather patterns, this Atlantic hurricane season could include a greater-than-average number of major hurricanes.” Read more…
  • April 3, 2020 – A pandemic meets hurricane season in Florida: What could go wrong?: “April is when the traditional hurricane season messaging to the public begins. But directions on hurricane evacuation routes and shelter information have been replaced this year by pleas to stay home to contain the coronavirus and instructions on applying for unemployment.” Read more…

 

March 2020

  • March 28, 2020 – AccuWeather: 2020 hurricane season will be ‘busy’: “Another active hurricane season is expected this year. Forecasters say it could be on par with the hyperactive 2005, when 28 storms received names.” Read more…
  • March 27, 2020 – Hurricanes 2020: Forecasters are looking at 4 major hurricanes that could impact the United States this year: “The coronavirus clearly dominates the headlines, but, over the next few weeks, different forecasts for the Atlantic 2020 Hurricane Season will be edging into our news cycle. After all, less than ten weeks and we’ll begin the season which, by all counts so far, looks to be busy.” Read more…

 


error: Thank you for visiting